Saturday, October 2, 2010

Blog #3



1. My teacher's management plan is based on color cards. If a student misbehaves, he/she pulls their card and changes it to the next color, if the card gets to red then a call home is made. The students can not move back as a reward for positive behavior.  

2. My teacher has hand signals for students to use as she is teaching to signify what they need. One finger is held up when they need to go to the bathroom for example; the teacher can just motion for them to go instead of stopping the whole class to see what they need. My teacher also has a resource table in each desk grouping. She has all the manipulatives or supplies the students need in a basket on the table so if they need to use something they don't have to ask.


3.
a. Guiding Principals:

1. Everyone in the classroom should be treated with respect, whether student teacher or peer.
2. Procedures and routines guide the classroom towards learning.
3. Students should be given the opportunity to construct their own learning.
4. The teacher should guide the students in their learning.
5. Positive behavior support is key.

b. Classroom Set up:

I want my classroom to focus on the student grouping. I want it to be a comfortable learning environment that utilizes centers and technology.

c. Rules:

In my classroom I always wanted to make the rules with my students so they can be included. Making the rules with my students will make them feel connected.  I feel as though students would be more inclined to follow the rules if they have a connection to them.  Having discussions while making the rules regarding the rationale and relevance of each rule will help children understand why they are to follow these rules instead of that they are just “supposed to” follow them.

1.    I will ask the students to think about the class rules that they had in their previous classrooms.  Ask them to think about which ones they liked; which ones they thought were silly. What rules did you follow all year and what rules did you wind up not following at all?  Did you wish there were rules that weren’t listed?  Maybe rules that would have helped you learn?

2.    I will tell my students that I want them to think about what needs to be done in the classroom, i.e. learning.  I want them to think about actions that need to be completed like homework, bathroom breaks, answering questions.  Think about how these need to be done.

3.    I will ask my students to write down rules that they would like to have in their classroom.  I want them to try to think of some on their own for the first minute. I will write down suggestions of my own.

4.    In this next step, they can discuss with their partner (the child sitting next to them,) what rules they listed and why.  With their partner they can think of more rules that they would suggest.  Before school started, I set up my LEP students with a native English speaker.  The English speaker can help their English learning partner.

5.    I will ask the students to share some rules that they came up with; we can discuss why they would work or why they might need some adjusting.  I will also discuss some of my rules as well and see my student’s opinions on the rules.

6.    I will collect their suggestion sheets, I will go over in a discussion good rules that they suggested and why they work well. 

7.     I will use their suggestion as well as mine (so I still have final authority,) to write up class rules on an oversized notepad.  Next to the rule I will draw a picture for better understanding for not only my LEP students but the rest of the class as well.  I will act out each rule; this should help my LEP students as well.
       
8.      Each student will sign the bottom of the page since they have had a part in choosing the rules.
9.     To finish, we will practice the rules we have made together!

d.Routines

Morning: 
When the student comes in, they are to find their personal backpack cubby, get out all personal belongings that are needed for the day, put their backpack on the hook and place their lunchbox on the shelf above their backpack.
After putting their backpacks in their cubbies, students are to go to their desk and pull out their “Morning Work” notebook.  There will be a simple review assignment on the overhead for them to do in this notebook.  This will also be the time for students to sharpen pencils for the day. (If I have classes that switch this is what my homeroom would do, the other class would do the same thing excluding the backpacks.)

Bathroom:
When a student wants to go to the bathroom they will put their thumb up in the air and wait for me too excuse them.  During centers, while I am doing guided reading with groups, they are free to go without permission.  This procedure is based on a classroom with a bathroom inside.

Lining up:
When we are lining up to go somewhere, the students will wait until I call their group to line up. They will get all necessary materials, then sit quietly and wait to be called.

Going somewhere:
When going somewhere, students are not to talk and are to stay in a straight line until the destination is reached.

e. Disruptive behavior:
 I will have the color card system in my classroom. First students will get a warning with a nonverbal cue, like a look. If students don't correct the behavior they will receive a verbal cue. Then they will be asked to change their color. Students will be able to redeem themselves and move back up a color. Each day students will take home a take home folder with a paper showing their color for today in each behavioral category (on task, prepared..etc.) so the parents know exactly where the child misbehaved. The parent will need to sign in acknowledgment. We will also have a positive behavioral support of redeemable tickets. If changing of color does not work for students taking away of tickets will be used. Reoccurring behavioral problems will be dealt with on a case to case basis.








1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said about making the rules with the students. I think that it creates a sense of community. However, I would suggest having a list of important rules in mind before the first day. During my internship, we made read aloud rules with the students and they all suggested the same thing (in different words). Having important rules in mind might help guide the students.

    ReplyDelete